What are you thankful for?November 23, 2011
Thanksgiving is the perfect time to reflect on what we are thankful for over the past year. Of course, I am thankful for my health and the health of my family and friends. But since this is the Car-Free Diet blog, I was thinking of car-free related things that I am thankful for, and here is my top ten list, in no particular order:
1. Capital Bikeshare - now entering its second year with more stations being installed in Arlington.
2. Apps - it's exciting to see all the new apps for transit that show what buses to take, or when the next bus is due to arrive, or if there is a bike at a Capital Bikeshare dock. Looking forward to more being developed.
3. Choices - how many other places have the transit-related choices that we have here in Arlington? Metrobus, ART, Metrorail, VRE, walking, biking, bikesharing, carsharing, and even teleworking.
4. Information - I'm not talking about Wikipedia, but all the transit schedule information that is available. You can go online, use your smartphone or walk to a bus stop and find out when the next bus is scheduled to arrive.
5. Bike/walk trails - Arlington has an extensive system of trails that make it easier to get around whether on two wheels or two feet.
6. Smart growth - Arlington's past leaders had the foresight to put the Metrorail in its current location which over time has proved to be a wise move.
7. Fashionable comfortable shoes - I know this is a girl thing, but how great is it to be able to wear a pair of fashionable comfortable shoes that I can actually wear to walk to work or walk to lunch and not have to change in and out of tennis shoes.
8. Padded bike seat - this goes with #7. It's nice to sit on a cushy seat when biking.
9. Bike maps and Walkabout maps - great for exploring more of Arlington and finding hidden gems.
10. Car-Free Diet fans - thanks to all the great people who like our Facebook page, follow our Tweets, followed our Skeptics and have helped make Arlington's Car-Free Diet a success. You actually live the Car-Free Diet everyday by walking, biking and taking transit.
Happy Thanksgiving. What are you thankful for?
Bobbi Greenberg is the Marketing Director for Arlington County Commuter Services in the Department of Environmental Services.
For more sharing tools, click "Share" at the top of the page.
About User Comments
Comments submitted using the "Post a Comment" form will appear after approval. If you have a comment or question, but do not want it to be published, please contact us.