Shared Mobility Devices
Shared Mobility Devices (SMDs) include pedal bicycles, electric bicycles, and electric scooters. SMDs are provided by several companies in Arlington and include both docked and dockless systems.
Capital Bikeshare is docked system with over 4,300 bikes at 500 docking stations located in Arlington, the District of Columbia, Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County. Members use an electronic key to check out a traditional pedal bike or e-bike, ride to a destination served by the network, and return the bike to another docking station near their destination. You can join Capital Bikeshare for a single trip, one day, 3 days, a month or a year. Trips up to 30 minutes long are free, with fees starting to accrue after 30 minutes.
For more information, visit CapitalBikeshare.com. More information about Capital Bikeshare in Arlington is available from BikeArlington.
Dockless systems don't depend on fixed docking stations for locking bikes or scooters. Instead, pedal-only bikes, e-bikes, and e-scooters include a built-in locking mechanism and are tracked by GPS. Users set up an account to employ a mobile app to unlock, pay, and use. They can be parked anywhere it's legal to park a bike or scooter.
Operators that hold permits to operate in Arlington in 2023 include:
- Bird - e-scooters & e-bikes
- Lime - e-scooters & e-bikes
- Spin - e-scooters
- Superpedestrian - e-scooters
- Veo - e-scooters & e-bikes
Read more from Arlington County.
Safety on E-Scooters
Be a PAL – Predictable, Alert, Lawful – when using e-scooters. Follow these safe riding tips:
- Obey posted traffic signs and signals.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic.
- One rider per e-scooter.
- Companies require riders to be 18+ to use.
- Communicate your intent with hand signals.
- Keep your eyes on the road and avoid the use of anything that may distract you, such as cell phones and headphones.
- Helmets are recommended for all shared mobility device users.
- Stay visible after dark and in bad weather with light-colored clothing, reflective gear and lights.